Real customer reviews - Average rating: 3.3 Stars
By Marty Labrado
on 2015-02-24 Expected Better Quality - Here's Why
When you pay upwards of $200.00 (at the time of my ordering and writing this review), you expect a certain level of quality in return for your hard earned money. I wasn't expecting this bed platform to be made out of particle board (one of the reasons for this being three stars) and I should have read further into the details and description.
The black color and finish look wonderful especially on my wood floor you can see in the pictures provided.
SIX MONTH UPDATE AS PROMISED: The bed platform has held up well as far as a particle bed platform goes. I've noticed that it creeks a lot more than it did when we got it. As big as I am (300+ lbs.) and with my wife being around 130 lbs, I don't think it will hold up much longer. The plastic underneath the slats that hold the bed up broke within the first month of use.
I've lowered my product review to two stars instead of three.
PACKAGING: I've read so many reviews of people complaining about the size and weight of the package when they received it. Guess what: You're ordering a wooden (albeit particle board) platform for a bed. It's going to have some weight to it (mine wasn't more than 75 lbs.) and be about 6 1/2 feet in length for most beds.
PUTTING IT TOGETHER: This should be a two person job or else you might have a difficult time. The instructions for putting it together are absolutely terrible and is one of the reasons why I give this only three stars. Maybe it's just me but they were not clear at all. Once you do make sense of the instructions everything else just kind of falls into place. The boards are all labeled by letters and numbers and all of the holes match up to where they need to be. No pieces were missing. I had everything I needed.
DURABILITY: Like I said before, I had some serious doubts as to how sturdy this thing was going to be. After putting it together I put a Classic Brands Mercer 12 Inch Hybrid Cool Gel Memory Foam and Innerspring Mattress, Queen Size
on it, which is quite heavy, and the platform is holding up well... even after performing a few nights of adult activity with my wife. I definitely would feel better if there were more support centers and made out of wood but it's working just fine so I can't complain.
UPDATES: I've set calendar reminders to update this review at the six month and one year mark. I will keep you posted as to how well this platform will perform at those times.
If you found this review helpful it would mean a lot to me if you gave me a thumbs up. If you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment below and I will help you as best I can.
EDIT: inserted product link
3 Stars By Heather G on 2016-03-10
Should make it a year, maybe???
We have been using this for a couple weeks now and its not working out!!! the top platform piece slides around a bit on the bottom box piece... all of the stoppers that put on to keep that from happening kind of just came off, which I found to be a nuisance... Also the platform is in 2 pieces which are separating as well so the hole thing just slides around all willy nilly!! The directions were followed,... and if we climb in and out of bed gently I believe we will be able to make this frame last another year maybe, however, sooo disappointing to have something start falling apart after only owning it for a couple weeks!!
2 Stars By SadieRocks on 2015-08-29
Toxic smell makes sleep impossible
I bought this a few months ago and it still stinks. The wood is cheap, and i think the majority of the smell might be coming from the big sheet of particle board that the bed sits on. Speaking of which, that part is really two parts. That is understandable, seeing as how it probably greatly reduces shipping costs and makes getting it places easier. It's a little hard to explain maybe, but when assembling, you have the two boards that you have attached the trim to. The boards have predrilled spots for a hole/peg locking mechanism. First of all, that doesn't work so well. Then, once it is together, it doesn't line up well. IF you are able to get that lined up, the trim doesn't line up. So basically, halfway up your bed the trim doesn't line up with itself. And sometimes it will split apart and leave a bit of a gap. I can live with that, since we don't really have company in our bedroom. But that toxic smell on the other hand...Unless you can air it out for half a year in a well ventilated room before you use it, I would pass on this bed.
2 Stars By veronica davis on 2017-03-14
Missing screw holes, Extra screw holes... Sleeping on the couch tonight
This arrived today, four days earlier than expected. So that's a plus. It was nicely packaged with no missing pieces, that's a plus. The black finish is pretty nice, too. That's about the end of the positives, unfortunately.
My husband and I spent probably a little over two hours on putting this together, but it's just poorly made. We're far from incompetent and both prior military.
- The instructions are absolutely a nightmare... I could not imagine my sister or my mom trying to put this thing together.
- Some of the holes were not made all the way through. It's as if they put the holes in, THEN added the outer black finish edge or something. We had to hammer a screwdriver through to finish them.
- There were extra holes on the same pieces that should not have been there. THOSE were made all the way through. It's as if they made those holes then realized, oops, that's not where those go! Let's just add them, even though the outer edge is already finished...
- We luckily had extra screws, but will still be buying some tomorrow to try to make this work. We don't have the time to send this thing back with my husband's bad back. We recently bought a new mattress due to that and was now replacing our old, falling apart frame.
- The problem pieces were the base, the boards that actually touch the floor. The rest was pretty easy (for us) to figure out.
- That doesn't matter when the side bottom piece completely falls over and where the screws go in, it tore the particle board because the plastic pieces you put the screws in are apparently just too big.
- I'll be sleeping on the couch tonight, as you can't put any weight on that side of the bed...
Be prepared for a struggle putting this thing together. A drill might come in handy. Oh yeah, and like other reviewers have said... it's particle board.
Note: Their listing says 24/7 live chat support. That's the first place I went. But it's not available right now - lol So here I am. I'll update this as/if needed.
3 Stars By Jay Agey on 2015-08-22
Not bad for the price. Mine needed a little extra elbow grease.
It's cheap so I got this as an experiment on whether or not I like platform beds without breaking the bank. First, this thing is borderline too big to ship via UPS. It's is packaged well against bumps, but since it's long, it's susceptible to bending and cracking of the long MDF(particleboard) pieces. That's what happened to me. Two of the four matress slats were cracked but I worked out a partial refund with 2DayDeliver and I went to Lowes and got a piece of MDF to make my own slats. It was either that or ship the whole heavy ass thing back. The partial refund was the better option for me. After cutting the replacement MDF to size and drilling the holes and slots in the new MDF that matched the original, I was able to put it together with ease. For how cheap it is, it is sturdy and it does look halfway decent. And yeah, platform beds are great with people with bad backs. I'll probably upgrade to something nicer when we move in a year or two, but for now piece is working nicely.
1 Stars By Dixie Lee on 2015-05-19
Very cheaply made. (What did I expect?) It is cheap. The edges of faux finish were already starting to peel away when I opened the package. Worst, though, was the horrendous off-gassing. The company assured me they were within safety standards. Whatever that means. Possibly if you sleep in a breezy area with two cross-windows open. I'm pretty desperate, so am trying to seal in the stench with several layers of paint. There is one type of paint that you can buy which is supposed to actually do this. Unfortunately, bark is as bad as bite, as it stinks too, horrendously, while applying, and is very expensive. The smell has dissipated to a certain degree, as I did air it out for a month in a hot room as they suggested.
1 Stars By Charlene Whyte on 2014-07-25
DOES NOT EVEN DESERVE 1 STAR! HORRIBLE!
This platform bed has been the bane of our existence from day one! Do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS MANUFACTURER!
1) Queen sized version weighs over 200 pounds "in the box" (despite the description reading 131 pounds and 115 pounds in the same listing)
2) Despite the weight of the box...this is just really cheap particle board.
3) 2 of the 4 particle boards that form the platform were for a "FULL" size bed instead of the queen we purchased so they were at least 6" shorter than the other 2 boards which meant that we could not complete assembly. Only solution was to have 2DayDeliver ship out an entire new bed in all its 200-pound-boxed glory (which took another 2 weeks to arrive even with our Prime membership) in order to pull out the 2 correctly sized boards to finish assembling the bed. Such a torturous ordeal! Lots of back and forth between 2DayDeliver and UPS...2DayDeliver's customer service was STELLAR in the face of this extremely inconvenient situation. If we had not struggled with the heavy package and half-assembled this bed...we would have returned it in a heartbeat! UGH!
4) Most of the pieces are not labelled so assembly took much longer than it should which makes for quite an annoying assembly process
5) Many, many of the pre-drilled holes do not line up...further delaying assembly! You will need to drill your own holes so be prepared.
6) Fast forward 2 weeks and here comes the realization that once assembled, the platform is larger than a standard queen sized mattress so the unfinished top of the platform is unpainted/unfinished and visible so you will have to paint it black (or the color you purchased) for it to look ok.
Never again! I read so many negative reviews on this bed and wish I had heeded those warnings. We needed something quick and cheap but in the end it cost us more in time and sanity than it was worth! I would have gladly paid 5 times more to have avoided this debacle. TOTALLY NOT WORTH IT!!!!
5 Stars By MSB on 2016-05-20
Better than cheap RTA furniture but not at the cost of department store furniture
Better than cheap RTA furniture but not at the cost of department store furniture. Wife and I assembled it in under an hour. Great Value. We added a foam mattress and it looks like a whole new bed. I'm glad they labelled the storage area as "seasonal storage" because you wouldn't want to store anything under it (or move it) more than once a year. The "hinges" that connect the platform pieces together to make it a "seasonal storage" aren't the strongest and if you were opening and closing it consistently, it could snap.
3 Stars By Nettie F. on 2013-06-10
You get what you pay for.......
My youngest daughter wanted a white platform bed and the price was right on this one, especially given the free PRIME shipping. However, you get what you pay for here. If you just want something to get a mattress up off the floor this will work ok but I do not think it will last very long. The reason I don't think so is because the bed is made of particle board and the pieces do not match up perfectly so some of the screws split through the side of the screw holes. The end hangs over a bit far so that too much sitting there will make end of the bed start to weaken and ultimately break. This was VERY difficult to put together. Not so much in where the pieces go because the ONLY parts that have a coat of glossy white paint covering the particle boards are the ones that will be seen once put together. But because each screw, and there are MANY, must be driven by force into the connecting board rather than screw into a drilled hole. You have to MANUALLY drill the hole into the connecting board, and about 20 of these screws must be screwed from the moulding to the platform UPSIDE DOWN. The instructions say to lift the bed to screw these in but the thing is just too heavy to do so. You need two people as the directions say. Once put together, one piece of the moulding hangs farther off than the other. Also, you may want to consider buying a quart of white glossy paint to paint the platform before you put on the mattress. I put on a queen sized mattress and there is still a good 2 inches of the ugly brown particle board showing all around the mattress. Poor quality and boards do not all match up, some are cut crooked and the boards split easily when screwing in the many screws. Will do for now and the price is right but I would not buy again.
5 Stars By HOPE Hill on 2014-10-01
Very solid construction, simple to assemble, I love this platform bed!
I've wanted a platform bed for a long time, but was nervous about getting this one with the mixed reviews. However, I've been pleasantly surprised. Took me awhile to put it together, but the directions were easy to read and clear to follow - just required a screwdriver (power tool is definitely important as the wood is hard and you'll get blisters if you try to do it by hand) and hammer.
This platform bed is absolutely solid. My queen mattress fits just right with a couple of inches of the bed trim showing around the edges. I never hear any creaking or shifting of the platform bed - has an extremely solid feel.
I would definitely recommend this bed.